Saturday, February 23, 2008

Moonwalk

While walking to the thirty-something seater company bus to catch my ride back home late into the night, I realised yesterday that for the first time in
almost a month or so, there was a full moon shining right above me. The whole time I turned my head upright to catch a glimpse of it, there was always the
lurking danger of me stepping onto napping dogs on the roadside and cyclists coming crashing into me. Yea, to say I am an alert pedestrian is a blatant lie.

In those few moments i spent staring up, quite a few thoughts sprung into my head. Some associate the moon with a lover, whom they miss so dearly. Others see
the moon and the accompanying twinkling stars as a perfect visage of happiness. While there are also a handful who are 'poetically' inclined towards the moon, as
it inspires them to write innumerable sonnets about it, there are also a few who have fallen in love with the moon and wish they could have it!

Here comes the sensitive, emotional side of me. I'm an avid night-sky gazer. I was walking along a dark road, a shortcut to where my bus waited. The light
from the moon cast a glow that illuminated the darkness and allowed me to see into the night. On full moon nights, I usually leer up at the sky and think. Thinking about what sort of excitement I really need in my life right now. A girl? My own business? Or a high-paying respected job? I'm clueless. I wouldn't say that staring at the night sky is a desultory pastime that I have. It tends to be appeasing in a way, particularly after a vexing day at work because it allows me to figure out what I have with me right now, what i need and what i dont have .. in life. I think about my dear dad too, who's watching over my family and me from up there..

When i reached home last night, I read it on some site that there was a lunar eclipse very early in the morning, the day before. Damn, i missed it!
An ideal full moon night for me would be sitting outside with .. a campfire, in the country, no lights to deal with, a cold beer, your best mate or lover, the moon, the stars and your favourite songs being played on the radio .. it just wouldn't get any better than that.
Though the walk to the bus usually takes just 5 minutes, I took shorter steps yesterday, deliberately ...

1 comment:

tunia said...

:)
So, I shouldn't feel thankful for you accompanying me for all those walks after all eh?! Its a treat for you too..? :)
Full moon night on the beach is one experience of its kind. I was blesed with it during my trip to Fort Cochi.
Its pure magic..the moon..